The day the 21st January, 2021, marks the 50th Mizoram Police Raising Day. A celebration function was organized at G.S. Arya Mess, PHQ which was attended by Police officers of the rank of SP and above posted in Aizawl city. The function was chaired by Pu L.H. Shanliana, IPS, ADGP Mizoram who delivered a welcome speech and highlighted the reason behind adoption of 21st January, 1972 as Mizoram Police Raising Day and the development of Mizoram police throughout its history. Pu SBK Singh IPS, DGP Mizoram delivered a speech wherein he stressed that Mizoram police should update themselves in the field of crime investigation, to utilize and apply modern technology in policing, to increase their efforts in the fight against drugs and narcotics substances and to give importance to welfare of police personnel. Pu John Neihlaia IPS, IGP (Hqrs.) proposed a vote of thanks in which he highlighted the activities and achievement of Mizoram Police and reiterated the police to perform their duties with good cooperation.
Further, various units and offices under Mizoram Police also celebrated the 50th Mizoram Police Raising Day by organizing activities such as cleanliness drives and recreational activities. In addition, Band parties of 1st Bn. MAP, 2nd Bn. MAP, 3rd Bn. MAP and 2nd IR Bn. organized band display in cities and towns where the battalion headquarters are located.
Mizoram (then called the Mizo District) attained the status of Union Territory on 21st January, 1972 and Pu Inderjit Verma, IPS took charge as the head of Mizoram Police i.e. IGP Mizoram on this day. Hence, this day has been adopted as the Mizoram Police Raising Day. Initially, there were only four units under Mizoram Police and only 6 (six) police stations. The strength of police was only around 200 personnel. Separate Armed battalion were not established and there are District Armed Branches in the 3(three) police districts.
At present, there are 11 Police Districts, 18 Sub-Divisions, 40 Police Stations, 3 Special Police Stations and 13 Police Outposts. There are 8 Armed Battalions (3 MAP Bns. & 5 IR Bns.) with 23 Border Outposts. In addition, there are 6 other police units. The sanctioned strength of Mizoram police is 12206, the actual strength is 8634 with a vacancy of 3572.
During the year 2020, Mizoram police has several notable achievements:
- Due to the hard work of Mizoram police, there was no major law & order problem. Elections to Local Council/Village Council, LADC and Christmas and New Year celebrations were held under peaceful atmosphere.
- Mizoram police worked tirelessly to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the state. About 3000 police personnel were deployed for Covid-19 related duties alone.
- Zokhawthar and Dungtlang Police Outposts were upgraded to full-fledged Police stations and the State Government had issued Notification for establishment of new Police Outposts at Seling, North Kanghmun and Lengpui Airport.
- Special Investigation Wing was established under CID (Crime) on 23.01.2020 to take up investigation of heinous and sensational cases. It was official inaugurated on 03.03.2020. Cyber Police Station under CID (Crime) also started functioning from 22.05.2020 and was officially inaugurated on 27.11.2020.
- For development in games and sports, Deed of Agreement was signed between Mizoram State Sports Council and Mizoram Police on 24.07.2020. As per the Deed of Agreement, Mizoram State Sports Council shall undertake the works of laying artificial football turf and other allied infrastructures at 1st MAP Football Ground, Armed Veng. The estimated cost of the project is Rs. 46.35 crore and work order has been given to Décor India – Complete Sports Solution, Guwahati on 26.02.2020. Pu Zoramthanga, Hon’ble Chief Minister, Mizoram laid the foundation stone on 30.07.2020.
- On 07.12.2020, Mizoram Police and Mizoram University signed a Memorandum of Understanding for mutual cooperation at G.S. Arya Mess, PHQ. The MoU aims at case- study of rape and POCSO cases, victim counseling, organizing computer certificate courses for police personnel and providing technical expertise in infrastructure development works of Mizoram police.
- With the approval of the Government, 161 Mizoram police Constables were granted honorary promotion to the rank of Head Constable on 23.06.2020.