I. Brief History of the Unit:
The First Battalion Mizoram Armed Police (1st Bn MAP) was established on 1st August 1973. This Battalion was the only single Battalion which shouldered unending demand of various duties for 20 years long insurgency period with laudable and commendable performance. It had a substantial relief so far as responsibilities and duties are concerned by the raising of 2nd Bn. MAP on 1st Sept. 1987. Senior officers of various services such as IPS, APS, MPS and BSF officers have been assigned to look after the Battalion as Commandant.
- 1st Bn MAP is functioning particularly under the direct supervision of the Commandant. The Commandant is assisted by two Deputy Commandants and six Assistant Commandants in respect of supervising the functioning and administration of the Unit.
- The Battalion have various branches like Administration Branch, Reserve Branch, Account Branch, Police Hospital, Motor Transport Branch, Quarter Master Branch, Arms Kote etc. and each are functioning under each designated Head for the smooth and easier functioning of the administration system of the Battalion.
- Since the Headquarter of 1st Bn MAP is situated in the heart of Aizawl city, the unit is being handpicked primarily by the authority to maintain law and order as and when situation demanded. Besides being the senior most armed unit in the state, the authority solely lays its confidence upon the unit in respect of tackling with the anti social elements like Ultras as and when situation arises inside and in every nook and corner of the state. As such 1st Bn MAP, especially in sphere of maintaining law and order, is functioning at its utmost capability to hold high the prestige of Police Department as well as for the liberty and sovereignty of public of the state in general.
- The Unit is conducting a regular routine of Battalion Parades. (a) Commandant Inspection Parade on every Monday of the week, wherein the good turned out personals of the unit are awarded with deemed fitted reward. (b) Battalion Physical Training Parade is conducted on each Wednesday, and the period of the training is utilized for improvement of the physical efficiency and endurance of the unit personnel. (c) Adjutant Parade and Battalion Route Marching are held regularly at an alternate interval based on the order of the Commandant on each Friday of the week, wherein ceremonial and tactical training are conducted as far as practicable at regular interval, so as to enable the unit personnel to build up their efficiency and ability physically and mentally to enable them to confront with any kind of situation that potentially emerge. Besides, the Unit is conducting a regular Roll call for the Unit personnel presenting in the General Duty, in which all kinds of internal and outside duty including duty for law and order, are detailed from the end of the Administration Inspector as required, under the direction of the Adjutant and close supervision of the Commandant.
III. WELFARE MEASURES
This Unit is having various welfare activities mainly for the welfare of the force and their families. They are shown as under:-
- Dry Canteen
- Tea Canteen: Tea and snack are prepared to meet the requirement of forces and office staffs on payment.
- Unit Dairy: This Unit is running Unit Dairy which provides milk to Police Officers and men.
- School: English Medium School upto Class –VII standard is being run by this Unit since 1998. Since, the school is managed from contribution of the Police personnel of this Unit; children of Police personnel are given concession in respect of fees.
- Recreation: This Unit is running Football Training Academy which is mainly for the children of the Police families, but civilians are also admitted in this academy as per availability of seat. Badminton Hall, Gymnasium and Recreation Hall with Television set are also established for the welfare of forces and families.
- Ambulance Service: We are having two ambulance vehicles – Medium Vehicle and Light Vehicle utilized frequently to carry patients from BOP and other places and also to carry dead body from Battalion Headquarters to other places.
- Tailoring Training Centre: This Unit is running Tailoring Training Centre. Two instructors imparted training to 20 – 30 trainees at a time. These trainees are wives of Police personnel / families of policemen. \
- Mizoram Police Gas Agency: This Unit is running Gas Agency for the welfare of Police personnel of this Unit in particular and also for all Police personnel in general.
- Unit Samelan is held regularly at the Unit Headquartes as per the order of the Commandant. The Unit Samelan is conducted especially for the Unit personnel in case of their personal predicament as well as for the interest of the Unit. The Unit Samelan is presided by the Commandant and extended the grievance represented by the Unit personnel to the concerned Branch Head for further consideration and tackling of the case.