I. BRIEF HISTORY:
The 3rd Battalion Mizoram Armed Police was established on 9th November, 1992. The headquarters is located at Mualpui Aizawl which falls under I.T.I. Local Council jurisdiction of ward No. XVIII of Aizawl Municipal Corporation. The total land holdings of the 3rd Bn. MAP has an area of 58,707.39 Sq.m. under DPL No. 23 of 1992.
The 4-Coy Cell which was created vide GOM order nos. A.12028/2/88-HMP, dt.09.01.1991 and A.12028/2/88-HMP, dt.21.01.1991 forerun the establishment of the battalion. It has a modest beginning with one Assistant Commandant and a small body of staff starting the office w.e.f. 02.08.1991 at 1st Bn. MAP complex, Armed Veng Aizawl working directly under AIG-II. In the first week of December 1991 the office was shifted to Police Headquarters Aizawl. Home Department order no.12023/4/92-HMP, dated 23.09.1992 sanctioned the post of Commandant for the 4-Coy Cell taken up by Pu LH Shanliana, MPS on 09.11.1992 and the cell was officially named the 3rd Battalion Mizoram Armed Police on this date. And with the approval of the Police Headquarters, the office was shifted to Mualpui from PHQ occupying the then Forensic Science Laboratory Building w.e.f. 10.11.1992. The presently occupied office became functional w.e.f.5.11.1993, and now it is a full fledged battalion.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SET-UP AND OPERATIONAL AREA
The Commandant is the administrative head of the office. The final authority on all matters within the battalion is vested in the Commandant subject to the supervision and control of DIGP(Arms/HQ/Trg), IGP(HQ/L&O) and DGP. He is assisted by the Second-in-Command also designated as DDO, a Dy.Commandant, a Medical Officer and normally 5 Asst. Commandants who carry out such functions and responsibilities as are entrusted.
Personnel of 3rd Bn. MAP are mainly deployed within Aizawl city and in BOPs (Kolalian, Saikhawthlir and Zamuang). They are also utilized in Police Stations (Aizawl, Serchhip and Thenzawl), Static Guards/House Guards, law and order duty, bank guards and escorts, election duties and other security duties.
- General Branch : The branch consists of Ministerial staff under Head Assistant (H.A) of the rank of Inspector of Police (Ministerial) and mainly deals with financial administration of the Battalion. It prepares various types of Bills under different heads for presentation to government Treasury. The various staff process their concerned files and correspondences routing through the Head Assistant who puts up all the files to the DDO who then puts up the files before the Commandant.
- Reserve Branch: The Reserve Branch consists of executive staff under Reserve Officer of the rank of Inspector of Police(AB). It deals with all the office records, service sheets and registers connected with service matters of personnel of the Battalion, correspondences and other office records like Leave, Increments, Promotion, Seniority, Pay-Fixation, Rewards and Punishments in service sheet of Executive staff, etc. It also deals with posting and transfer and duty detailment within the Battalion after proposed list is submitted by Coy. Hqrs./G.D. branch. It functions under the supervision of the Adjutant.
- QM Branch: The Quartermaster (QM) Branch deals with arms and ammunitions and other logistic materials needed by the Unit such as office furniture, anti-riot equipment, clothing and collection and issue of Ration, maintains all relevant Stock Ledgers and other important records, Staff Quarters, land and buildings etc. The head of this branch is called the Quartermaster of the rank of Inspector of Police (AB) under the direct supervision of Assistant Commandant, QM.
- MT Branch: The Battalion has a fleet of different types of vehicles. The Motor Transport Branch is responsible for the maintenance of these vehicles and keep them in tip-top conditions. The head of this branch is called the Motor Transport Officer (MTO) of the rank of Inspector of Police (AB), assisted by Motor Transport Havildar and other logistic staff which comprises of technical and non-technical personnel.
- Headquarters Company (General Duty Branch): The Headquarters Company or the General Duty Branch is headed by the senior-most Inspector called as Inspector, Administration or ADM(I). It comprises of those Sub-ordinate Officers (SOs), Under Officers (UOs) and Constables posted in the Battalion Hqrs. other than those posted in other branches of the Headquarters. The branch is responsible for the security, orderliness and cleanliness of the Battalion Hqrs. and family lines, proposal for deployment of force for different kinds of duty, transfer and posting and other miscellaneous activities of the Battalion through the services of the Duty Officers, Ready Commanders and personnel, Line Regimental Police (RP), and other security duty at Main Gate, Magazine Guards, etc. The ADMI (I) is assisted by one Sub-Inspector Adjutant or J.A (Junior Adjutant), Battalion Havilder Major (BHM) and Company Havilder Majors (CHMs), and Battalion Writers respectively under the direct supervision of the Adjutant who is the Company Commander of the Hqrs. Coy.
MEDICAL FACILITIES: The Battalion has a ten-bedded Hospital with Dispensary, Wards and Labour room. A Medical officer and other medical staff are presently working at the Hospital to cater the medical needs and assistance of the Battalion staff and families. However, there are rooms for improvement in terms of medical equipment and other facilities.
POLICE CENTRAL STORE BUILDING: The Police Central Store building located at the Battalion Hqrs. Mualpui is used for storing Police clothing items and other articles procured by PHQ for further distribution to different units of the department.
POLICE CENTRE BUILDING: The Police Centre Building located at 3rd Bn. MAP Hqrs. is utilized as Centre of Excellence by the Mizoram Football Association in partnership with Tata Trust under deeds of agreement with Mizoram Police.
GUEST HOUSE: The basement of the Police Centre Building is utilized and designated for 3rd Bn. MAP Guest House with three well-furnished guest rooms. It was inaugurated on 25th August, 2017.
PARADE GROUND: This Battalion has a full-fledged Parade Ground with two pavilions which can also be used as a football playground. The public and other organizations are also given permission to use the ground on payment of fees and the revenue received is utilized for welfare purposes.
FIRING RANGE: The Battalion has an outdoor firing range within the battalion complex with a range of 100 meters. Construction and improvement works of the firing range has been carried out on self help basis and with funds received from PHQ.
BAND PLATOON: The Battalion Band Platoon was raised on 9th February, 2001. The Band Platoon participated in important state and national celebrations as well as in important occasions such as visits of VVIP/VIPs, and other programs. The Band Platoon won the 1st prize in the Mizoram Police Sport Meet Band competition 2017.
TRAINING: Refresher Course training is conducted regularly at the Battalion Headquarters for 3rd Bn. MAP personnel. The training is intended to improve the skills and efficiency of the personnel in the field of weapons and tactics, drills, physical and mental health and fitness as well as to educate them in indoor subjects such as relevant rules and laws, and matters related to policing. Training on arms familiarization and physical fitness is also regularly conducted in the Battalion.
IV. BATTALION REGIMENTAL INSTITUTIONS
The 3rd Bn. MAP has organized few regimental institutions which are useful for staff welfare measures. The staffs are allowed to borrow money maintained under different institutions without any interest. The different heads under these institutions are Ration Fund, Unit Tea Canteen Fund, Relief Fund, Unit Family Welfare Fund, Civil Canteen Rebate Fund, Sports Fund, and Unit Welfare Fund.
BADMINTON HALL: The Battalion has a good Badminton Hall equipped with court-mat/ carpet and proper lighting system.
- Wet Tea Canteen : The Canteen provides tea and other eatables at a cheap rate for the personnel, families and visitors. It is maintained and managed by the Battalion in order to ensure better management and service.
- Ration Store: The Ration Store procures rice and other essential items like sugar etc. which is resold to the families at a nominal profit.
- Dry Canteen: Dry Canteen is managed by a Contractor. This canteen supplies different items at a reasonable rate to the personnel and the families.
- Carpentry workshop: The Carpentry workshop is equipped with modern machineries and is effectively utilized for making/repairing of various requirements such as office furniture, School furniture, door and window frames, etc. of the various government buildings within the Battalion complex.
- Cobbler & Blacksmith: The Unit Cobblers take care of repair of the footwear of the personnel and their families free of cost. Similarly, the Unit Blacksmiths cater to the requirements of the Unit and personnel free of cost.
- Tailoring Centre: This unit has 6(six) Sewing Machines and Unit tailors stitch uniforms of the Battalion personnel by charging only the cost of buttons, zippers, threads etc which is about 5 (five) times lower than the normal market rate.
WATER SUPPLY: The Battalion has no adequate water supply. Water connection system under government scheme/undertaking is still unavailable in the Battalion complex. Supply of water is carried out through fetching of fresh water from PHE reservoirs Unit’s by water tanker and distributed on equal basis under uniform tariff. However, PHE Department officials were approached for supply of water to the Battalion Hqrs. and necessary action has been taken on this regard as a result of which installation/laying of water pipelines has been completed and provision of water connection to offices and govt. residential quarters of 3rd Bn. MAP complex is currently undertaken.
SCHOOL AND EDUCATION: The 3rd Battalion MAP English Medium School which is located inside the Battalion complex provides elementary education to children. A monthly contribution is made by all ranks of the Battalion staff for effectively running the school. Free Mid-day Meal Scheme under SSA is also introduced in the school.
V. REMARKABLE ACHIEVEMENTS :
- Residential quarters over the years : Residential quarters available in the HQ complex is for 139 families which can now provide accommodation to 1/4th of the staff though the remaining mostly stay in rented/private houses.
- Road connectivity : The Battalion Hqrs. Mualpui is now well-connected by roads upto the main office building and the nearby vicinity. The internal still un-metalled roads are now covered up with cement concretes and footpath steps on self help basis.
- Solar Water Treatment Plant : There are 2 INTERGEN water pump plants taken up in 2012 and maintained well; now each plant can give about 4000 litres of treated water per day.
- Water connection pipelines : There is installation of water pipelines by SIPMIU and provision of water connection to offices and residential areas by PHE Deptt. completed in July 2020.
- Construction and improvement works of the firing range : There is now a 100m firing range in 3rd Bn. MAP Mualpui. A firing shed estimated amount of 2 lakhs, other works for approach road, pitch upgrade, side drains for 53 lakhs funded by Home department, is almost completed.
- The 3rd Battalion MAP English Medium School : The English Medium School started from the school session of 2006 was forerun or established on 24.01.1994 as Mualpui Primary School. It is located inside the Battalion complex and provides upto Class-VII of elementary education to children. A monthly contribution is made by all ranks of the Battalion staff for effectively running the school.
- Constructions and beautifications inside the Complex : Construction of the new main gate structure, roll-call ground, sheds, footpath steps and various signs; and beautification of the complex had been done using own self help basis and funds received from the PHQ.