I. Brief History of the Unit:
Government of Mizoram vide order No.A.12028/2/88-HMP Dt.9 1.1991 created the 4 Coy cell which became the forerunner of the 3rd Battalion MAP which started its office with 1 (one) Asstt.Commandant and a small body of staff at 1st Battalion MAP complex, Aizawl w.e.f 2.8.1991 under the command of AIG-II. In the first week of December 1991 the office was shifted to Police Headquarters, Aizawl. The Government of Mizoram, Home Department, vide order No.12023/4/92-HMP Dt.23.9.1992 had sanctioned the post of Commandant for the 4 Coy cell and Pu L.H.Sanliana became the first Commandant on 9.11.1992 and consequently the 4 Coy cell was officially named as the 3rd Battalion Mizoram Armed Police. The 3rd Battalion MAP was then shifted from the Police Headquarter to its present headquarters at Mualpui on 10.11.1992. The present office became functional w.e.f 5.11.1993.
The organization set up of 3rd Battalion MAP can be concisely put as below:
(1) General Branch: This branch consists of Ministerial staff headed by an Inspector (M) called Head Assistant. They mainly deal with financial matters and prepare various types of bills under different heads for presentations to Treasury.
(2) Reserve Branch: This branch consists of executive staff. They deal with recording of all matters like leave, increment, promotion, seniority, pay fixation, reward & punishment etc. of the executive staff. The branch is headed by executive AB Inspector or Sub- Inspector called Reserved Officer.
(3) Quarter Master Branch: This branch is headed by executive ABSI.
This branch deals with Arms & Ammunitions, clothing, ration, staff quarters etc.
(4) Motor Transport Branch: This branch is headed by an AB Inspector called the Motor Transport Officer (MTO). The Battalion has a fleet of vehicles of different types for transportation of its personnel for law and order duties.
(5) Administrative Branch: This branch is headed by the senior most ABI (Inspector) of the unit called the ADM (Inspector). He is assisted by one Sub-Inspector called JA (Junior Adjutant), Battalion Havildar Major (BHM) and Company Havildar Majors (CHM) respectively. This branch is responsible for command and control of
the executive personnel and deployment of forces as and when required.
The forces personnel of 3rd Battallion MAP are mainly utilized for law and order duties within Aizawl city. Whenever there is a need for Armed force personnel for law and order duties within Aizawl city the forces are deployed.
III. WELFARE MEASURE:
- The 3rd Battalion MAP has organized a few regimental institutions which are used for staff welfare measures. The different institutions are ration store, unit tea canteen, bania canteen (grocery store), tailoring, carpentry and unit dairy.
- The battalion personnel also maintains a Relief Fund by contributing Rs. 60/- each per month from which a sum of Rs.100,000/- (Rupess One lakh) only is given to the family of a deceased member as condolence.
- PARADE GROUND: This Battalion has a Parade Ground which can also be used as football ground. Whenever the ground is not used by this unit, the public and other organizations are given full access to use of the ground on payment of Rs.300/-per day. However, they have to ask for permission from the Commandant of the Battalion. Fund accrued from this is utilized for welfare purposes. This ground had also hosted the XII Mizoram Sports Meet, 2006 and the XXXVII All India Rural Sports Meet Group II Tournament 2006-2007 during 16th – 19th January, 2007.
Rs.1.5 lakhs has been sanctioned by Rural Development Department for construction of a Pavilion at the Parade Ground, construction of which was under taken by this unit. With additional money from the unit Regimental fund, a decent washroom/toilet is annexed to the Pavillion.
- IMPROVEMENT OF INTERNAL ROADS AND MASONRY STEPS: The Battalion Hqrs at Mualpui is well-connected with Aizawl city though it lies at the outskirts of the city. However, the internal roads are still not all metalled. This causes a lot of inconvenience during rainy season. However, on a self-help basis laying of boulders for eventual blacktopping is taken up by Battalion personnel.
- MEDICAL FACILITIES: This Battalion has its own medical staff. A ten-bedded Medical Itinerary was completed on 4.3.2002 at the cost of Rs 16.97 Lakhs. A Medical officer, one (1) sister, three (3) staff nurses, two (2) health workers, three (3) pharmacists and one (1) laboratory technician are catering medical needs of the staff and their families.
- POLICE CENTRAL STORE: There is a Police Central Store at this Battalion Hqrs Mualpui. This is used for storing Police clothing items and other articles procured by Police Hqrs for further distribution to different units.
- BADMINTON HALL: The Battalion has a good Badminton Hall equipped with proper lighting.
But right now it barely useable Tor playing Badminton due to poor maintenance caused by financial constraint. This hall was constructed in 1999. Besides playing badminton this hall is often used for conducting other indoor functions/ Programmes.
- WATER SUPPLY: The Battalion has no adequate supply of water. The water supply scheme of the State government has not reached the Hqrs complex even after commissioning of the Aizawl Greater Water Supply Scheme Phase-II. The natural water points in and around the Hqrs are not sufficient to meet the need of the personnel and we have to rely on water supply by 2 (two) tankers which fetch water daily from Tuirial river.
- PHE Department officials were approached for supply of water to the Battalion Hqrs. through the 3 lakhs ltrs. capacity tank above the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium and as a result purchase of water from PHE Department is made and further distributed to the staff quarters thereby substantially solving the perennial problem of water supply. However this is still not enough to meet all our demands as the PHE Department cannot always meet our demands. In addition to this a water tank with a capacity 2.75 lakhs ltrs., construction is being taken up by the Battalion on a self-help basis to harvest rain water, which is more or less completed.
- VEGETATION: Compared to other parts of Aizawl, the 3rd Bn. MAP Hqrs. at Mualpui is fairly vegetated. Efforts are continuously being taken to preserve this green vegetation. In addition, a number of fruit bearing trees, ornamental trees and plants are also planted.
- SCHOOL: The Middle School at3rd Bn. MAP Hqrs. Mualpui was opened on 24.1.1994 as per SDEO(A) West order No A.19012/4/94/94-SDEO(E)/3558-78 dt 21.1.1994. The Anganwadi Centre had started functioning at Bn Hrqs with effect from 1.8.1994 as approved by CDPO memo No. A.12013/1/93-ICDS(TN)/43 dt 1.8.1994. These two elementary institutions are of immense value to the Battalion.
The 3 Battalion MAP English Medium School started from the session of 2006. Free-Midday Meal Scheme is also introduced. Besides other normal teaching aids required for running the school, three (3) sets of computers have been purchased for the students. For running of the school monthly contribution is made by all ranks of the Battalion. It needs to be mentioned here that the Class VII students of this school appeared for the first time in the Board examination under MBSE (Mizoram Board of School Education) in the year 2009.