I. BRIEF HISTORY
- 2nd India Reserve Battalion was established on 15th January, 2001 to become the 5th Armed Battalion of Mizoram Police having its Headquarters at Khawzawl, Champhai District.
- Since its inception on 2001 till March 2005, the Battalion was having its temporary Headquarters at Police Headquarters complex, Aizawl. All offices and personnel of 2nd I.R Battalion were completely shifted and started functioning in its present location at Lungvar veng, Khawzawl, Champhai District wef 7th April 2005. Pu L.T.Hrangchal MPS was the first commandant of the battalion.
- Originally the Battalion Headquarters of 2nd I.R Battalion, Khawzawl covers a total area of 137.97 bighas. However, through donation of land by the neighbouring private land owners, the present area covers a total of over 189.63 bighas (253806.4089 Sq.mtrs.)
- 2nd IR Battalion became the first Armed Police Battalion of Mizoram Police to be deployed outside the state. Based on the instructions of the Home Ministry, Government of India, 2nd I.R Battalion of Mizoram Police departed from Mizoram on the 27th September 2006 for Anti-Naxal Operation in Chhattisgarh. After completion of over 2 years deployment, 2nd IR Battalion was repatriated back to Mizoram on the 26th November, 2008.
II. OPERATIONAL AREA
- Performs Law & Order and internal security duties in Khawzawl, Champhai and Saitual Districts. The Battalion have successfully helped in maintaining law and order in the three Districts.
- Nos. of Border Out Post : 4 (Four) viz. Khawlian, Suangpuilawn, N.E. Khawdungsei and Vanbawng. The Border out posts have been instrumental in maintaining peace and tranquility in the state along the Mizoram-Manipur Border.
- Nos. of Police Station and Static Guard etc. where 2nd IR Bn. personnel attached : 6 (six) viz., Champhai, Dungtlang, Zokhawthar, Khawzawl, Ngopa, Saitual, District Court Zote, SBI Champhai Branch and Link Officer PHQ Aizawl. The Battalion personnel have involved in the seizure of various contraband items and in the detection of many serious cases and also for the safeguarding of the Court and the Bank.