I. BRIEF HISTORY
Champhai District is in the North Eastern part of Mizoram between 24 05’03. 99’’ and 23 00’03.25’’ N Latitude, 93 00’31.29’’ and 93 26’17.66’’ E Longitude and at an altitude of 1678 m (5505 ft). It borders Myanmar on the Eastern side, Khawzawl, Saitual and Serchhip District on the Western side, Saitual District on the Northern side and Serchhip District and Myanmar on the Southern side. Champhai District shares 160 Kms. long international boundary with Myanmar. The total population as per 2011 census is 72,025 with a literacy rate of 95.91%.
II. ORGANISATIONAL SETUP
Champhai District Executive Force is administratively under the overall supervision of District Superintendent of Police who works under the direct supervision of Dy.Inspector General of Police, Eastern Range. There is one Sub-Division i.e., Champhai Sub- Division which is lookd after by the Sub- Divisional Police Officer. Name of Police Stations with numbers of villages covered by each police Stations is as under:
- Champhai Police Station (27 villages)
- Zokhawthar Police Station (5 villages)
- Dungtlang Police Station (19 villages)
There is one Police Beat Post i.e., Farkawn Police Beat Post which is looked after by Dungtlang Police Station.
III. ESTABLISHMENT :
Various branches under SP Champhai :
- Establishment & Account Branch
- Reserve & Clothing Branch
- Crime Branch
- Motor Transport Branch
- Prosecution Branch
- Traffic Branch
IV. WELFARE MEASURE :
Champhai DEF Unit Welfare was established on 19th January, 2009, comprising as follows:
- Chairman – District SP
- Vice Chairman – Addl. SP
- Secretary – Head Assistant, SP Office Champhai
- Asst. Secretary – Accountant, SP Office Champhai
- Treasurer – Cashier, SP Office Champhai
- Committee Members – Dy.SP (Hqrs), SDPO Champhai, all Branch Head of SP OfficeChamphai, Prosecuting Inspector (PI)CJM Court Champhai, O.C’s of PS/OP under Champhai DEF.
- Member – All personnel under Champhai DEF.