I. Brief History of the Unit:
The CID Special Branch housed in CID Complex Bungkawn, Aizawl was created and started functioning in the year 1973. Pu A.K. Roy, APS was the of Police of CID(SB). Being an intelligence agency of the state it is playing an important role in the collection and dissemination of intelligence pertaining to the movement of insurgents, illegal trafficking of arms and other anti-social elements bearing security of the state on law and order problem. The Special Branch is equipped to cope up with growing menace of Cyber crime and provided with technical backup.
II. Police Establishment:
Various Branches under CID SB:
- SUBSIDIARY MULTI AGENCY CENTRE (SMAC): The Subsidiary Multi Agency Centre is established in the Special Branch as one of the Centres amongst various Intelligence Agencies under Ministry of Home Affairs for effective means of sharing intelligence report between the state Agencies.
- TECHNICAL BRANCH: Technical Branch came into existence as a separate entity from 16th April, 2010 having its own technical works which yielded immeasurable results in giving timely information and detection of crime and criminal to Police Department. Apart from their technical works, this branch also rendered technical assistance to other sister units.
- FOREIGNERS REGIONAL REGISTRATION OFFICE (FRRO)/VERIFICATION BRANCH: FRRO deals with registering of Foreigners entering into Mizoram and subsequent movement inside Mizoram and their time of departure of Mizoram. It also deals with verification of character and Antecedents (C/A) of Passport applicants from Mizoram and also newly appointed persons to Govt. jobs. The FRRO/VB is having a direct link with Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Delhi for on-line verification to Pakistan nationals and post verification of overseas citizens of India (OCI).
- IV. RESERVE BRANCH: Reserve Branch mainly looks after administration, service matters of staff, deployment and discipline of the unit. It is also functioning as Armourer of the unit maintaining the Arms and ammunitions.
- CONFIDENTIAL BRANCH: The Confidential Branch is synonymous with the information centre of the unit. All information either general or intelligence collected are processed, analyzed and stored in this Branch.
- MT BRANCH: MT Branch is looking after power generator and vehicles of the unit.
- ESTABLISHMENT AND ACCOUNT BRANCH: This Branch is looking after all financial Accounts and transaction of unit, stationery, pension files and service book of Ministerial staffs.
- PERSONAL BRANCH: Main function of Personal Branch is publication and dispatch of Daily Summary of Information (DSI), Special Report (SR) and Confidential letters purported to the knowledge of SP. It also looks after the library of the unit and other important documents.
- FIELD BRANCH: Field Staff deals with collection of timely information/intelligence and monitoring the activities of various political parties, NGOs, Student Organisations, Labour & Services, Insurgent Groups, Arms smuggling and anti-social elements bearing security of the state on law and order problem.
- SECTORAL OFFICES: CID(SB) is presently having 15 Sectoral offices in the following different strategic places within Mizoram.