I. BRIEF HISTORY
The 2nd Bn. MAP was initially raised with a strength of two Companies vide order of GOM L/No A-12125/1/82-HMP, dt 23/12/1982. For the first four years, it was attached to function under the 1st Bn. MAP, Aizawl. A full fledged strength of the Battalion was later sanctioned vide GOM letter No.A-12028/1/82 – HMP, dt 9/10/1987 and Luangmual, Lunglei was selected for the Battalion Hqrs. On the 27th April, 1988, the office was shifted from Aizawl to Lunglei where the then office building of SDPO Lunglei located at Chandmari, Lunglei was utilized as the office of
the Commandant. On 6th March,1989 the Bn. Hqrs. was shifted to the present location of the Battalion Hqrs. at Luangmual, Lunglei which is located at the Southern part of Lunglei Town.
A total area of land measuring 139 Acres was first allocated at Luangmual, Lunglei under the village council jurisdiction of Lunglawn village in the name of IGP (M) vide Pass No. DPL-16 of 1975 when the same location was still occupied by 56th Battalion CRPF. The same land passed was later re-issued vide passed No. 83 of 1977 with an area of 150 Acres. This was ultimately converted into DPL No. 7 D of 1999 issued in the name of Secretary, Home Department, Government of Mizoram. The same location has been utilized as the 2nd Bn. MAP Headquarters till today.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SETUP/OPERATIONAL AREA
2nd Bn. MAP covers 4 (four) districts viz., Lunglei district, Lawngtlai district, Siaha district and Hnahthial district covering 3 (three) Autonomous District Council areas viz. Mara Autonomous District Council, Lai Autonomous District Council and Chakma Autonomous District Council. 2nd Bn. MAP has contributed the largest number of force during the recent Border tension with Assam; as many as three Companies (261 personnel) were deployed to Mamit and Kolasib Districts for Border dispute related duties.
Since the establishment, there have been numbers of Commandants in the Battalion. Their incumbency period and lists till today is listed under :
1. Pu. C. Dothanga IPS 1.9.1987- 1.10.1987
2. Pu. L. Pachuau IPS 2.10.1987- 12.10.1988
3. Pu. Zorammuana MPS 13.10.1988- 1.11.1988
4. Pu. LH. Shanliana MPS 2.11.1988- 16.11.1988
5. Pu. KC. Thanga AIPS 17.11.1988-23.3.1990
6. Pu. LT. Hrangchal MPS 24.3.1990-22.10.1990
7. Pu. H. Khiangte MPS 22.10.1990-31.1.1992
8. Pu. T. Chongthu MPS 1.2.1992 – 10.10.1994
9. Pu. LH. Shanliana MPS 10.10.1994- 13.10.1997
10. Pu. Zorammuana MPS 13.10.1997- 12.9.2000
11. Pu. John Laldina MPS 12.9.2000-6.10.2003
12. Pu. T. Chongthu MPS 6.10.2003-2.1.2004
13. Pu. John Laldina MPS 2.1.2004- 14.1.2005
14. Pu. Saithanga MPS 15.1.2005 – 3.7.2009
15. Pu. Laldawngliana MPS 3.7.2009 – 3.5.2014
16. Pu. Zasangzela MPS 3.5.2014- 12.8.2014
17. Pu. C. Lalruaia MPS 12.8.2014-2.7.2018
18. Pu. Lalmuanpuia MPS 2.7.2018 – 30.9.2019
19. Pu. Saidingliana Sailo MPS 1.10.2019 – till date.
III. WELFARE MEASURES:
The 2nd Bn. MAP organized and maintains the following Welfare Measures:
- 2nd Bn. MAP Church.
- Tailoring Training Centre.
- Unit Basketball cum Volleyball Court.
- Unit Badminton Hall
- Parade ground/Playground
- Martyr Memorial
- 2MAP English Medium School.
- Unit Dairy.
- Unit Gas outlet etc.
- Shiv Mandir
- Carpentry Workshop/sawmill