I. Brief History of the Unit:
Date of rising of battalion : 12.05.2007
Date of starting of basic training : 14.06.2007
Date of completion of basic training by 3 IR Recruit Constables:08.05.2008
The Third Indian Reserve (Mizo) Battalion is currently deployed in Assam covering three Districts namely Darrang, Nagaon and Golaghat. The Battalion was deployed in Assam since 20.07.2009 for Counter Insurgency Operations. Requisition was also received at times from the District Administration for Maintenance of Law and Order as well as providing VIP security. The BattalionThe Third Indian Reserve (Mizo) Battalion is currently deployed in Assam covering three Districts namely Darrang, Nagaon and Golaghat. The Battalion was deployed in Assam since 20.07.2009 for Counter Insurgency Operations. Requisition was also received at times from the District Administration for Maintenance of Law and Order as well as providing VIP security. The Battalion Headquarter is located at Mangaldai, Darrang District. The Battalion had its presence in 12 numbers of locations that spreads in 3 districts other than HQ at Mangaldai. Company Headquarters are located at the following places;
- Alpha Company – Borpathar, Golaghat District
- Bravo Company – Bhagatpara, Darrang
- Charlie Company – Lanka, Nagaon District
- Delta Comany – Samaguri, Nagaon District
- Echo Company – Panbari, Golaghat District
- Foxtrot and HQ Companies at Mangaldai, Darrang District.
TRAINING: A skeletal Training Branch of Third IR Battalion was set up as per the Provision under Rule 332 (7) and Rule 299 of MPM, 2005. Inspector (Training) head the Branch and the Training Curriculum was structured with the various needs of the current deployment. At present the Unit conduct three types of Training;
- Refresher Course for newly inducted personnel so as to acquaint them with the local (Assam) environment to which they are engaged.
- Company rotational training is for all personnel within the Battalion so as to develop their readiness at any given time.
- Endurance Training is conducted for personnel who are taking alcohol and to help abstain they were given a training so as to physically help them fight their bad habits.
III. WELFARE MEASURES:
- Approach Road and Obstacles Course was constructed, Recreation Hall was dismantled and reconstructed.
- Barracks, Arms Kote, Sentry Post, Toiletry were renovated.
- The unit HQ housed a Christian Fellowship church, three numbers of Mandirs and a Gurudwara, they were also renovated from time to time for the benefit of each religious followers.
- Water coolers were provided to HQ and Out Posts and recently three Out Posts were provided Water Dispensers.
- Television along with dish TV connections were made available to all the posts.
- Sports Materials and items were provided to outposts from the unit sports funds and games were organised from time to time.
- Medical facilities and medicine were distributed to outposts on regular intervals.