I. BRIEF HISTORY:
- Approval was given to raise 3rd India Reserve Battalion vide MHA letter No. 16001/202005-PF.N(V), dt. 22/03/2006 and Govt. of Mizoram order No. A.12028/5/92-HMP-PT.II, dt. 12/06/2006.
- Recruitment process of 3rd IR Bn. personnel was completed on 01/04/2007.
- 3rd IR Battalion became full-fledged battalion on 12/05/2008 and hence, 12th May is recorded as its raising day.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SETUP / OPERATIONAL AREA
- The proposed Battalion headquarters is under construction at Thingkah village, Lawngtlai district, Mizoram.
- 3rd IR Bn. is currently deployed at Assam since 28th January, 2010. Bn. headquarters commanded by Commandant is located at Mangaldai, Darrang district, Assam. Outside Bn. headquarters, forces are being deployed in 4 (four) different districts having 6 (six) company headquarters and 11 (eleven) post locations. The performance of the 3rd IR (Mizo) Battalion is highly appreciated by Government of Assam.
- Link office under the command of a Dy. Commandant is functioning at Police headquarters, Aizawl.
III. WELFARE MEASURES:
- Conduct of Tournaments: The Battalion has been conducting Inter-Company Football, Volleyball and Badminton Tournament every year at the Battalion Headquarters, Mangaldai.
- Post Visit: The Commandant frequently pays a visit to all the post manned by the Battalion posted at various District and also conducted Sammelan every year. All the grievances and demands put forwarded by the personnel are always looked into and solved whichever is feasible at the earliest. The Chaplain also conducts a post visit twice every year to enliven the force personnel spiritually and mentally.
- Crusade & Camping: Crusade and Camping are also organized at the Battalion Headquarters, Mangaldai from time to time for the spiritual growth of the force personnel and to abstain them from their bad habit that can spoil their mental and physical health.