I. POLICE HEADQUARTERS, MIZORAM AT A GLANCE
Police Headquarters, Mizoram is situated at the heart of the capital City at Khatla, Aizawl, Mizoram.
ADDRESS : Police Headquarters, Khatla, Aizawl, Mizoram. Pin Code – 796001.
- Aizawl STD Code 0389 Country Code + 91
- DGP : 2334682/2334310(Fax), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IGP (M): 2334858/ 2334262, email: email@example.com
- IGP (Intel/ L&O): 2333099, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DIG (HQ) : 2333059, email: email@example.com
- DIG (TRG) : 2333043/ 2336067 (Fax), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DIG (NR) : 2333238/ 2334241 (Fax)
- DIG (OSD) : 2333708
- AIG – I : 2334355/2335467(Fax), email: email@example.com
- AIG – II : 2335340/2335578(Fax), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AIG – III : 2335652
II. ORGANIZATION SETUP OF PHQ
Police Department, Mizoram is headed by the Director General of Police (DGP) assisted by various senior officers like IGP(M), IGP (Intel. and L&O), DIG(HQ), DIG(TRG), DIG(NR), AIG-I, AIG-II, AIG-III, AIG-TRG, AIG-Legal and AIG-Modernisation. Various branches and functionaries at PHQ are shown in the Organisation Chart of PHQ. The current DGP of Mizoram is Shri Balaji Srivastava IPS.
III. BRIEF HISTORY
The Mizo District Council, one of the administrative unit under the State of Assam got status of Union Territory on 21st January, 1972. Until Mizoram became Union Territory, the then Superintendent of Lushai Hills was the head of Police Force assisted by one Dy.SP. The first and foremost Superintendent of Police was posted in 1960. A small CID cell was also functioned under the control of Dy.SP at that time.
Shri I.J. Verma IPS was posted as the first I.G.P of Union Territory, Mizoram (20.01.1972 – 27.09.1974). During that time S.P, PHQ who was in-charge MPRO/ FSL, S.P Aizawl, S.P Lunglei, Dy.SP in-charge Chhimtuipui District (now Siaha and Lawngtlai District) and S.P, CID (SB) had also functioned.
Shri G.S. Arya IPS was posted as IGP, Mizoram vice Shri I.J. Verma IPS in 1974. In 1975 two other IPS officers were also posted in Mizoram. Shri L.B. Sewa IPS took the charge of DIG, Mizoram w.e.f. 01.01.1975 and Shri K. Panchapagesan IPS was the S.P, CID (SB) w.e.f. 10.01.1975.
The Union Territory of Mizoram attained Statehood on 20.02.1987 with three Districts viz. Aizawl, Lunglei and Chhimtuipui District. The Police Sub-Division, Police Station and Outpost in 1987 are as follows:-
|Name of District||Sub-Division||P.S||O.P|
After ten years of statehood, five new Districts come into being and there are eight Districts altogether as of now. Numbers of Police Sub-Division, Police Station and Outpost as on 2018 are as under:-
|Name of District||Sub-Division||P.S||O.P|
* Special Narcotic Police Station, Cyber Crime Police Station and Traffic Police Station are also functioned as full-fledged Police Station in addition to above cited P.S.
IV. YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT OF SOME UNITS
- Mizoram Police Radio Organisation (MPRO) – 1972
- First Service Organisation (now F&ES) – 1972
- Criminal Investigation Department (SB) – 1973
- Police Training Centre, Lungverh – 1973
- 1st Battalion MAP – 1973
- Criminal Investigation Department (Crime) – 1975
- Traffic Branch – 1979
- Central Police Workshop – 1983
- 2nd Battalion MAP – 1987
- 3rd Battalion MAP – 1992
- 1st Indian Reserve Battalion – 1993
- 2nd Indian Reserve Battalion – 2001
- 3rd Indian Reserve Battalion – 2007
- 4th Indian Reserve Battalion – 2007
- 5th Indian Reserve Battalion – 2008
V. WELFARE SCHEMES
- The new Mizoram Police Omnibus Welfare Fund Rules, 2018 was established vide PHQ Letter No.CB/PHQ/WFR/97/196 dt.09.10.2018. The scale of financial assistance for Ex-Gratia Grant and Relief Grant to the members of Police are as under:-
- Ex-Gratia Grant for all ranks – Rs. 50,000/-
- Relief Grant (Medical)
- Kidney Transplant – Rs.1,00,000/-
- Open Heart Surgery & Cancer – Rs.25,000/-
- Relief Grant (Natural Calamity) – up to Rs.50,000/- (depending upon the gravity of damage caused as per assessment made by the concerned head of unit)
- The State Government vide Notification No. G. 17011/4/2010-F.APF/54 dt.27.10.2010 ordered that an Ex-Gratia lump-sum compensation will be available to the families of Govt. employees, who died in the performance of their bona fide official duties under various circumstances from the date of issue of this office memorandum the amount of this Ex-Gratia lump-sum compensation shall be as under:
|1||Death occurring due to accident in the course of performance of duties||` 10.00 lakhs|
|2||Death occurring in the course of performance of duties attributable to acts of violence by terrorists anti-social elements, etc.||` 15.00 lakhs|
|3||Death occurring due to (a) enemy action in international war or border skirmishes and (b) action against militants, terrorists extremists, etc.||` 15.00 lakhs|
|4||Death occurring while on duty in the specified high altitude, inaccessible border posts, etc. on account of natural disasters, extreme weather conditions||` 15.00 lakhs|