I. BRIEF HISTORY
The 1st Bn. MAP was established on 1st August, 1973 and accommodating the District Revenue Police line at Armed veng on the Eastern side of the city. It’s total area is 156.47 Bighas (52.14 acres).
This Battalion used to be the one and only armed police Battalion which shouldered unending demands of various duties, especially during the 20 years long period of the MNF Insurgency, with laudable and commendable performances.
As the Headquarters of the 1st MAP is situated in the heart of Aizawl City, the authorities used to utilize the Unit primarily to maintain law and order as and when the situation demands. Being the most senior Armed Unit in the state, the authorities lay their confidence upon the unit to tackle with anti-social elements like ultras as and when the need arises, in every nook and corner of the state and sometimes even outside the state.
As such, the 1st Bn. MAP especially in the sphere of maintaining law and order, is a major contributor in keeping the prestige of Police Department high as well as for safe-guarding the liberty, safety and security of the general public.
II. ORGANIZATION SET-UP/OPERATIONAL AREA
1st Bn. MAP is functioning under the direct supervision of the Commandant, assisted by Second-in-Command, Dy. Commandant and Asstt. Commandants.
The Battalion have various branches like Administration Branch, Record Branch, Account Branch, Police Hospital, Motor Transport Branch, Quarter Master Branch, Arms Kote etc. and each of these different branches are the core administrative system of the Battalion.
1st Bn. MAP is presently manning as many as 5 BOPs viz. Sakawrdai BOP, Vaitin BOP, New Vervek BOP, Tinghmun BOP including 1(one ) Police Station at Darlawn.
Apart from this, as many as 16 (sixteen) numbers of static guards and house guards for VIP are covered by this Unit at various places within Aizawl City.
III. WELFARE MEASURES:
- Family Quarters: This Unit is presently having 236 nos. of family quarters in total, occupied by police personnel of various Unit.
- Police Hospital: This unit is having 10(ten) Bedded Hospital under the charge of Medical Officer and supporting staff. This Hospital is utilized by serving and retired officer and men of this unit, their families, and neighboring civilian free of cost depending upon the availability of medicines. The Hospital is also supplying required medicine to the BOP personnel on monthly basis and depending upon the availability of stock. This unit can undertake/provide various medical tests – Hepatitis B&C (Free), Hb, Blood grouping, H. Pylori, Typhoid, Malaria, Urine R.E
- Subsidiary Canteen: The Unit is also running one Subsidiary Canteen at Unit Headquarters w.e.f 21.1.2013. The subsidiary canteen, since its initiation, has been a great benefit for the Unit personnel in particular and Police personnel in general since it provide items at considerate low price. Apart from the serving police personnel, the Canteen is also utilized by retired policeman and family. So far the Subsidiary canteen had achieved huge profit since its establishment under this Unit. It is having branches in Lunglei DEF, Aizawl DEF, 3rd Bn. MAP & PTS Thenzawl
- Dry Canteen: Unit Dry Canteen is run in the Battalion Hqrs. to cater to the day to day needs of the Police and their families.
- Tea Canteen: Unit Tea Canteen is also established at Battalion Hqrs. Complex to serve refreshments of the staff.
- 1st MAP English Medium School:- English Medium School from KG-I to Class-VIII standard is being run by this Unit since 1998. 1st Bn. MAP, EMS is having Scout & Guides for primary section called BULBUL and middle section separately under its wing, which was introduced in the year 2010. The Scout and Guide had made several remarkable achievements: (1) Secured 1st Position (over-all) in the 1st Mizoram State UTSAV, 2012, (2) Secured 1st Position in the National UTSAV, Gadpuri, Haryana, 2013, (3) Secured 3rd Position (over-all) in the North East UTSAV, Shillong, Meghalaya, 2015. Scout & Guide for middle section often takes part in Ceremonial Parades during Independence day parades and begged the 1st Position in the unarmed contingent in the year 2013, and also takes part in Over Night Camp and the like activities of Scout & Guide under Sports and Youth Services. Moreover, the Scout& Guide of middle section had bagged the 1st Position in the National Integration Camp (NIC) at Telengana in the year, 2017. Scout & Guides of 1st Bn. MAP English Medium School took part in the North East States Youth Conclave & Amalgamation, 2018, Gangtok, Sikkim and bagged 3rd Prize in Folk Song Competition. And also successfully took part in Ecological Tour at Reiek with 75(Seventy five) Students and 5(five) Teachers. The team had also conducted successful expedition through the renowned Khuangchera Cave with 71(seventy one) Student and 4(four) Teachers.
- Recreational facilities: The 1st Bn. MAP is having recreational facilities like Badminton Hall, table tennis hall, Gymnasium and Recreation Hall for entertainment and recreation of the force. These halls are utilized not only by the staff and family of the unit, but also by local civilians as well.
- Ambulance service: This Unit is having 1(one) ambulance (LMV) to carry patients from BOP and other places and also to carry sick neighboring civilians from Battalion Headquarters to other places from time to time.
- Mizoram Police Gas Agency: This unit is running a Mizoram Police Gas Agency mainly for the welfare of all serving and retired Mizoram Police personnel. The MPGA is having its depot and go-down at Unit Hqrs. area, Armed Veng. The MPGA is also equally enjoyed by civilians in every aspect.
- MPWWA Tailoring Training Centre: The MPWWA tailoring centre was established in the year 2006 under this Unit. Large numbers of trainees had enrolled and successfully passed-out from tailoring centre. Many had established their own tailoring shop, while some continued to work under other’s proprietorship and earning livelihood. Hence, the tailoring centre is found to be very beneficial for the in-service personnel‘s family as well as retired family.
- MPWWA Weaving Training Centre: Weaving Centre was established under this Unit in the year 2015 under the purview of the MPWWA. Hence all the arrangement in connection with engagement of faculties and admission of trainees are undertaken by the MPWWA.
- Football academy:- The Unit is running 1st Bn. MAP Football Academy since 2004. Admission is done as per academic session and in two category of age i.e for under-18 and above 18. So far, the academy have made several remarkable achievements such as (1) Champion in Under 18 MPL 2015 (2) Champion 2nd Div. Session Ending Tournament, 2016 (3) Runner-up MPL Under-18, (4) Semi finalist in U-18 MPL 2017-2018 and is presently registered under ADFA in 2nd division. The Academy has produced a numbers of MPL Players including professional football players.
- Bamboo Plantation:- Bamboo plantation was initially carried out in the year 2007 effecting upon the flowering of bamboo. With a view to preserve bamboo from extinction and in order to create the unit self-sufficient in bamboo, the plantation was carried out on self help basis with seeds gathered from the BOP areas. The same is found to be very useful as the bamboo plantation had now matured and could be utilized for various purposes as and when required by the Unit.
- Tree Plantation:- Tree plantation had been given utmost importance since establishment of this Unit, as it is found utterly necessary for preserving surrounding atmosphere from pollution as well as for greenery of the Unit complex. However, hard-drive in this regard was enforced in the year 1994 onwards only, wherein, the entire force available in Battalion Hqrs. conducted plantation drive of young trees procured from Agriculture and Environment & Forest Deptt. At present, this Unit is having varieties of young/matured trees including fruit bearing trees under its plantation.
- Mandir:- This unit is having 1(one) Mandir situated in the opposite location of the Police Hospital. The Mandir was established in the year 1952 and is being utilized by Non-Mizo Police personnel and families as well as local Hindu civilians. All the function relating to religious rites are conducted in the Mandir under the presiding of 1(one) Pandit engaged from the unit. Further, all the management of Mandir in respect of repair and renovation are done by this unit as required from time to time.
- Gymnasium:- This Unit is running a Gymnasium which is utilized both by the unit personnel and civilian. It was established in the year 1997 and is functioning on monthly fee basis. The gym is placed under the purview of QM Branch which was basically established for developing cordial and closed relationship with the surrounding local people of Battalion Hqrs. as well as for maintaining physical fitness among the unit personnel. So far, several remarkable achievements have been obtained by this unit Gym by producing Mr. Mizoram Title Winner from among the Gym member.
- Badminton hall:- Badminton Hall of this Unit was established on 15.9.2000 and inaugurated by the then incumbent Commandant Pu Hmingdailova Khiangte MPS. The Badminton Hall is utilized both by unit personnel and civilian. Further, the Badminton Hall is also utilized by this unit for holding grand function and training indoor exam.
- Wild Wood Park:- The Unit Park is constructed from regimental & AMC fund, on self help basis during Jan-Oct 2016.. The unit park is visited by unit personnel and their families as well as civilians. A water fountain has also been constructed in the centre of the park, which greatly added the grandeur and beauty of the park to a great extend.
- Mini Sport Complex:- Volleyball court and Basketball court at 1st Bn. MAP Hqrs. Complex was constructed initially from fund contribution from this unit staff amounting to Rs.80,000/-. PHQ had also contributed fund amounting to Rs.2,00,000/- for the construction of this Mini Sport Complex. Since, fund contribution from unit staff and PHQ was not sufficient enough to complete construction work, unit regimental fund amounting to Rs.2,37,258/- was also used for completing the construction. Hence, the total expenditure for construction of unit Mini Sport Complex was Rs. 5,17,258/- which was carried out on self help basis by the unit staff. Mini Sport Complex of 1st Bn. MAP (Volley Ball and Basketball Court) was inaugurated by Pu Thianghlima Pachuau IPS, the then DGP Mizoram on 7.11.2017.
- Solar based water treatment plant:- 2(two) numbers of Solar Based Water Treatment Plant has been installed by Intergen Energy Ltd. Gurgaon. The same are installed near Unit park and at lower field of this Unit. The Solar Based Water Treatment Plant is essentially utilized by this unit for distribution within Battalion Hqrs. Complex at Police Hospital, Main Office Water storage, Jawan Mess, Magazine guard, Tea Canteen etc. for drinking water. Further, the same is found very beneficial as it save POL which was utilized for water collection from distant locations and also it provide more nutritious and purified water to the unit.
- Unit Brass Band: The Brass Band of this Unit was initially created in the year 1988. However, those enrolled in Brass Band were bifurcated and a Pipe Band was also created. Hence, both Brass Band and Pipe Band came into existence in the year 1988. However, consequence upon the transfer and posting of Band personnel on promotion and other unavoidable circumstances to other Unit, the Pipe Band was terminated in the year 2004. The remaining band personnel of both Pipe & Brass band were centralized and a Brass Band alone was established concretely. The Brass Band of this Unit is being utilized essentially both in official and non official function as well as on occasions. Apart from this, the Brass Band of this Unit is also engaged in non-official function on hiring system, with the consent of the Commandant. The Brass Band of this unit is also imparting training to Police personnel of other Unit, and it is solely due to the un-tiring efforts made by this Unit Brass Band personnel, a full fledge Pipe Band could be created under 3rd Bn. MAP.
- MEMORIAL STONE : The memorial stone of this unit is situated at the entrance of Unit complex. The name of all the police personnel killed in action/while on duty are inscribed on it. The memorial stone is a monument for martyrs of Mizoram Police, hence, wreath laying function used to be carried out on every commemoration day parade by DGP(M) and senior officers of Mizoram Police. The 1st Bn. MAP continues in its efforts and endeavors to promote peace and harmony, maintain law and order, safeguard life and property purely in the interest of public service.
- Sports : The Unit, as authorized by the Police Headquarters is having a team of Hockey and Football players in early days. Apart from this, the Unit is also having a number of athletes and other sports-men of various disciplines, who had won prestigious status in their respective disciplines on various occasions etc. And as for the Hockey and Football teams, the unit had won several numbers of remarkable trophies in various tournaments and championship, inside and outside the state including Bhutan King’s Cup.