I. BRIEF HISTORY
- The Govt. of India, MHA conveyed the sanction of the President for raising the 4th India Reserve Battalion by the Govt. of Mizoram vide letter No. 16011/20/2005-PF.IV (iv), dt.15.5.2007 with certain conditional guidelines.
- Accordingly, the Govt. of Mizoram, Home Department conveyed approval of the Government for creation of various categories of 1066 temporary post for raising of 4th IR Bn. under police organization vide letter No. A.12028/6/2007-HMP, dt.5.12.2007.
- Subsequently, recruitment of constables was started which was completed on 18.7.2008. Basic training of the newly recruited constable was completed at PTC Lungverh and Thenzawl on 22.7.2009 along with the posting of other ranks right from the Commandant down to IV-Grades.
- The first Commandant for the 4th IR Bn., Pu Lalhuliana Fanai MPS was posted on Dt. 12.8.2008 vide Govt. of Mizoram, Home Department Notification No. A.22022/1/89-HMP, dt.12.8.2008 which is then accepted as the raising day of the Battalion.
- The full-fledged Battalion started functioning at Thenzawl w.e.f. dt.1.9.2008 and the headquarters was then shifted to Aizawl on dt. 26.2.2010, occupying some portion of the office building of SP, Aizawl District as temporary main office of the Commandant and Advance Hqrs. was established at Luangpawl, Mamit. As desired by Police Headquarters and for smooth and effective functioning of this unit, the main office of the Commandant was shifted to Luangpawl, Mamit on dt. 25.1.2013.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SET-UP/OPERATIONAL AREA
- The 4th IR Bn. with its headquarters at Luangpawl Mamit, is headed by a Commandant assisted by Second-inCommand (2 i/c), Deputy Commandant(s), Asst.Commandant (s) and Sub-ordinate Officers, etc. The branches at the headquarters are divided as Reserve Branch, Administration Branch, Establishment Branch, Quarter Master Branch (Arms Kote, Carpentry, Construction) and Motor Transport Branch.
- The Operational area of the 4th IR Bn covers the entire Mamit District, Mizoram. The personnel of this unit are currently deployed at 6 (six) Border Out Posts/Duty Posts along the
western border of Mizoram (bordering Assam and Tripura States) along with attachment at 4 Police Stations and as Static/ Tactical Guard at SBI and District Court as under:
1. Borai BOP 2. Zawlpui BOP 3. Bungthuam BOP
4. Thinghlun BOP 5. Medili Post 6. Chuhvel Duty Post
7. Kanhmun PS 8. Zawlnuam OP 9. Kawrthah PS
10. Mamit PS 11. SBI Mamit. 12. District Court, Mamit.
- The 4th IR Battalion has been actively and remarkably contributing towards the maintenance of law and order within its operational area i.e., Mamit District, as well as in protecting the Mizoram state boundary. Many a time, the battalion has also use to deployed its personnel in other parts of the state for maintenance of law and order and as election duty within or outside the state of Mizoram when called for.