I. BRIEF HISTORY
The First India Reserve Battalion was raised in the year 1993 with its Headquarters at Mualvum, Kolasib District. At its inception, the Headquarters of the 1st IR Battalion was temporarily accomodated at the then Police Training Centre, Lungverh and the Mizoram Government looked for a suitable site. It was then that a 2615.28 Bigha wide land of old Mualvum village was donated by Kawnpui Village Council for the Headquarters of First India Reserve Battalion. Mualvum was then occupied as its Headquarters on 31st August, 1995 by shifting from PTC Lungverh. Pu.L.T.Hrangchal, MPS was posted as the first Commandant of 1st IR Battalion.
The First India Reserve Battalion has, since its inception till date contributed immensely in the maintenance of peace and tranquility inside Mizoram and outside. Troops from this Battalion have been deployed in Anti-Naxal operations in Chhatisgarh during the year 2006-2008.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SETUP/ OPERATIONAL AREA
Operational jurisdiction of 1st IR Bn. covers the whole administrative District areas of Kolasib District. With its Battalion Headquarters located at Mualvum, permanent deployment in the form of BOPs have been made in the following places viz., : Zophai, Phaisen, Vairengte, Saihapui ‘V’, Saiphai, Saipum and Tuirial. Besides these, attachment of armed Police has also been made in the following Police Stations – Kolasib Police Station, Vairengte Police Station, Bairabi Police Station and Kawnpui Police Station.
- The Office of the Commandant, 1st.IR.Battalion has four separate branches- General Branch, Record Branch, Quartermaster Branch and Motor Transport Branch. The General Branch deals with general correspondences and accounts; the Record Branch deals with the Force establishment and of matters connected with the personnel; Quartermaster Branch deals with clothing and accoutrement, arms and ammunition and other stores. The Motor Transport Branch deals with motor vehicles.
- Internal administration of the Battalion Headquarters and all matters of discipline, reward and punishment including matters of Headquarters Company, Band Platoon, Reserve Police, etc, is looked after by the administration branch headed by the Adjutant and assisted by the Administration Inspector, Sub Inspector Adjutant, Battalion Havildar Major, a Havildar Clerk, a writer and Constables and other personnel.
IV. WELFARE MEASURES
- An English Medium Middle School is being run by the Battalion at Mualvum to cater to the educational needs of children of our personnel as well as other families. The School is solely financed by the unit. The School has classes from kindergarten to class VIII.
- For recreational purposes, the unit also has one auditorium which is utilized for playing badminton and various other purposes.
- The Unit has a six(6) bedded hospital which is looked after by one qualified Govt. Doctor. he is assisted by staff nurses and other medical staffs. The hospital plays a vital role in providing health care facilities to the personnel of the unit with their family members. The hospital also facilitates to the needs of civilians from Kawnpui Village and its neighboring areas.
V. REMARKABLE ACHIEVEMENT
- 1st IR Bn. largely contributed in the maintenance of Law and Order and peaceful environment in Kolasib District.
- Contribution of the Battalion to prevent the people in the inter-state border areas and to protect the boundary of the state is highly commendable.
- Utmost efforts to conserve and enriched the flora and fauna of 1st IR Bn. Hqrs. complex have been taken and inculcate the necessity among the residents and staff.
ENGLISH MEDIUM SCHOOL
MARTAR THLAN (Martyrs Memerial Stone)